Monday, October 26, 2009

The Stark Reality - The Difficulties of Running a Childcare Business in Ireland Today!

http://www.mychildcare.ie/news26102009.asp

We received an email this week on the back of a recent news article we published (Nearly 80% of preschools are reporting fewer children on their books in the last 12 months). We felt that we had to publish this email as it paints a stark reality of the way the childcare sector currently is and just how difficult it is for some business owners to survive in the current climate. The email reads:

Hi Adrian,

I am just one of those people who closed my doors on Friday following ten years in business. My numbers had dropped down to 5 and full capacity is 20. I have 30 years experience in child care and I am fully qualified to grade 7 . I had taken up the whole matter with the government and my questions were raised in the DAIL by Rory Quinn. To no avail I called in county child care Committee to see if they could help out and whilst they were sympathetic there is no help available.

Who am I now but an unemployed single mother with a mortgage to pay and i wont receive benefit for at least 12 weeks because I was self employed. My Staff member is also unemployed and my 3 students are now looking for new placements too.

I have a complete school now packed away and I am hoping to see if any of the overseas charities would have use for it because I want to see children benefit. I have been in childcare for 10 years and it was all because i loved my work, not because I was earning a packet.

Thanks

Kind regards

No comments:

Post a Comment